In 2.3 We’re adding new items to the store, balancing weapons after a ton of great player feedback, improving the UI and post match experience and whole slew of other good things here and there. We’re going to continue patching Brawlhalla with minor patches every week when Legend Rotations change on Wednesdays. Major patches like this one will continue to happen every two to three weeks. Hope you and enjoy, and as always let us know what you think.
Snake Goddess Nai – Now available in the store!
Thumbs Up! – Now available in the store!
New Weapon Spawn Animations
Weapon spawns have received new animations.
- Added a button that automatically tells your opponent “gg” in the post game lobby.
- Lowered the delay at the start of the game until items begin spawning by 750ms
- In teams games, a weapon pickup will spawn on either side of the map to give each team near-equal opportunity to get a weapon early.
- When entering an online matchmaking queue with another player who is not on the same computer, you will no longer automatically see a bot that looks like the character they selected in Practice mode while queued. This was always just kind of confusing, especially for newer and less experienced players.
- The range that is considered neutral on controller for dodging has been increased to make spot dodges easier.
UI / Art
- New menu has been added to the scoreboard screen allowing you to more easily friend and mute other players in the post match screen. This new menu can be accessed by pressing”X” on the controller, “V” on the keyboard, or by clicking the button labeled “Inspect” located in the top-middle part of the scoreboard screen.
- Podiums no longer hang off the bottoms of the screen during character select and scoreboard when playing with smaller aspect ratios
- Fixed a bug that caused team selection to change when attempting to close the party panel.
- Re-factored chat real-estate and tweaked the artwork some
- Re-factored lobby list real-estate and tweaked the artwork some
- Re-factored scoring real-estate and tweaked the artwork some
- Podiums now correctly position and scale based on online-offline and aspect ratio
- Button artwork has been made to look more like traditional buttons with proper hot key sockets
- Chat no longer covers scoring information for the last podium
- Lobby list has a new “selected” animation to match that of the new podium menu art
- Lobby list now has a more obvious controller hot key
- If the game is in character select screen, the collapsed version of the active missions screen are now used.
- Additional Mac support for GameCube controllers using the WiiU adapter.
- PC Support for Mayflash USB Arcade Stick
- Added diagonal support for single-axis dpads (this is mostly support for fight sticks and 3rd party PS3 controllers)
- PC Support for Gigatech GX-105
- Fixed PC support for Madcatz Fightpad.
- PC Support for Serioux Phantom 3000W PC/PS3 wireless controler
- PC Support for Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2
- PC Support for Spartan Gear: Wired Controller
- Fixed PC support for Genius MaxFire Blaze 3
- PC support for SBOX GP-2009 3in1
- Adjusted stick thresholds for Magic Joy Box 3-in-1 Adapter w/ GameCube controller to be in line with other GameCube controller adapters.
- PC Support for Thrustmaster 2 in 1
- Fixed a bug where the UI and the game are showing at the same time.
- Fixed a bug where hitting a player during certain signatures could cause the target to teleport.
- Fixed a bug where some ground pounds could immediately stop on a soft platform if timed just right (or wrong, depending on how you look at it).
- Fixed a bug where the wrong animation could get played if a player was hit hard quickly in succession.
- Fixed a bug where the final aerial jump was no longer playing the jump animation
- Fixed a bug where the chat input field would not expand when initiating chat with “enter”.
- Fixed podium clipping at the base of the screen when playing in a 4:3 aspect ratio
- Fixed foreground cloud positioning when playing in a 4:3 aspect ratio
- Fixed text on scoreboard podiums so they will no longer look “grainy” when playing at smaller aspect ratios
- Fixed a bug where the head appeared to be disconnected on certain characters while being hit by unarmed attacks.
We have a number of balance changes coming in with 2.3.1 to even the playing field for everyone.
Fast Fall Adjustment
This should be a fairly subtle change for most players, but will correct some unintentional buffs created by fast fall.
- Fast fall speed returns to normal fall speed instantly once an attack starts (instead of keeping the extra momentum).
Quickly rotating between signatures can be pretty nasty with certain Legends, especially for newer players. This should help make “Sig Spamming” less effective.
- Cooldown between using two different back to back signatures now set at 10 frames.
We’ll have a better sense of how the Bow moveset is performing once we have multiple legends that use it, but the results so far suggest it needs some help to be effective. We’re making slight increases in Damage to a number of moves, and giving the Recover and Ground Pound some improvements to increase overall KO potential.
- Bow Side Light: Increased Damage from 16 to 19.
- Bow Neutral Light: Increased Variable Force from 34 to 40.
- Bow Neutral Air: Increased Damage from 17 to 21
- Bow Down Air: Reduced Time to Hit from 17 to 14; Increased Damage from 15 to 18; Increased Variable Force from 37 to 40.
- Bow Recovery: Increased Hitbox size.
- Bow Ground Pound: Reduced Damage from 25 to 22; Increased Variable Force from 38 to 45.
While Hammer is a slow and hard hitting powerhouse, we felt that its combo starter was a little awkward to use compared to other weapons. Hopefully these changes will make the stomp viable without letting it dominate Hammer play.
- Hammer Down Light: Decreased Time to Hit from 9 to 8; Decreased Stun Time from 33 to 28; Decreased Recover Time on Miss from 18 to 14.
These fairly minor changes should revert some of the stickiness introduced in the last patch while giving slight windows to start a counterattack when Katars whiff.
- Katar Neutral Air: Increased Time to Hit from 6 to 7; Reduced Cooldown Time from 15 to 11; Decreased Recover Time on Hit from 21 to 18; Increased Recover Time on Miss from 21 to 23.
- Katar Down Light: Increased Recover Time on Miss from 11 to 13.
Our attempts to keep the Lance from going out of control left it feeling pretty unappealing and clunky. We’re hoping that these changes will make it feel more viable and responsive so that players who love Scarlet’s inventions can take to the skies once more.
- Lance Side Light: Decreased Time to Hit from 13 to 11; Increased Hit Window from 8 to 11; Decreased Stun Time from 36 to 31; Decreased Recover Time on Miss from 18 to 14.
- Lance Side Air: Removed landing behavior; Slightly increased movement speed; Reduced Hit Window from 14 to 11; Increased Recover Time on Hit from 14 to 17; Decreased Recover Time on Miss from 31 to 21; Decreased Stun Time from 23 to 17; Increased Variable Impulsefrom 28 to 32.
- Lance Neutral Air: Added a 9 frame Cooldown; Increased Recover Time on Miss from 19 to 22.
- Lance Recovery: Increased Force from 54 to 56.
Spear Neutral Air is often underused due to it being a bit slow compared to the attacks it normally tries to contest. We’ve sped it up slightly to give a little bit more versatility to the kit.
- Spear Neutral Air: Decreased Time to Hit from 14 to 13.
While Sword has been a common complaint in recent weeks, we’ve opted to take a more careful approach with adjusting it to avoid overshooting like we did with Lance. We started by looking at the least fun move to deal with (Side Light) and made it a little more manageable and tuned as an aggressive approach. Neutral Light should be slightly less oppressive and Down Light combos see a small decrease in Damage.
- Sword Side Light: Increased travel speed; Added a forward dash before swing that increases Time to Hit from 6 to 10; Reduced Hit Window from 19 to 16; Reduced Recover Time from 17 to 15; Increased Cooldown Time from 15 to 17; Reduced Stun Time from 19 to 16.
- Sword Neutral Light: Increased Time to Hit from 3 to 5.
- Sword Down Light: Decreased Damage from 13 to 10.
Barraza can be pretty effective in the right hands, but he’s a rare sight at all levels of play. We’re nudging a couple of his signatures to make him a little more appealing.
- Barraza Side Axe: Decreased Time to Hit from 26 to 24.
- Barraza Down Blasters: Decreased Time to Hit from 17 to 15.
Cassidy is one of the weaker legends at the moment, which seems to hold true across winrates, tierlists, community feedback, and usage. We’re continuing to make small buffs to her signatures and give more of her quickdraw identity back.
- Cassidy Side Blasters: Reduced Recover Time from 20 to 18.
- Cassidy Down Blasters: Reduced Recover Time from 21 to 19.
Most new characters underperform at first, even more so when they have a new weapon. However, there are some signs that Ember actively needs help, especially with regards to the kill potential on her bow. We’re making her bow signatures a little easier to land across the board.
- Ember Side Bow: Decreased Time to Hit from 21 to 17.
- Ember Down Bow: Decreased Time to Hit from 22 to 20.
- Ember Neutral Bow: Decreased Time to Hit from 17 to 15.
Scarlet’s Neutral and Side Lance have Recover Times longer than their Stun to the point where she can be heavily punished for succesfully landing them on a fresh opponent. These changes should put her and her target on more even ground, as well as make her signatures a little less oppressive to use.
- Scarlet Neutral Lance: Increased Stun Time from 18 to 25; Reduced Recover Time from 31 to 25. Fixed Force begins at 90 and drops to 75, increased from a flat 75.
- Scarlet Side Lance: Increased Stun Time from 18 to 27; Reduced Recover Time from 31 to 26. Fixed Force begins at 90 and drops to 75, increased from a flat 75.
Vraxx’s Side Blasters didn’t reflect the animation’s timing very well. It’s been adjusted slightly to match, which should also help with some potential drop cases.
- Vraxx Side Blasters: Rehitboxed to better match animation.
- Lance Down Air: Fixed a case where target could be dropped before the final hit.
- Lance Side Air: Fixed a case where target could be dropped before the final hit.
- Bow Side Light: Fixed a case where target could be dropped before the final hit.
- Hattori Down Spear: Fixed a case where target could be dropped before the final hit. (Credit Eggsoup)
- Brynn Down Axe: Fixed a case where target could be dropped before the final hit. (Credit Tybo)
- Barraza Neutral Blasters: Fixed a case where target could be dropped before the final hit.
- Ember Neutral Bow: Fixed a case where target could be dropped before the final hit.
- Ember Neutral Katar: Fixed a case where target could be dropped before the final hit.
- Sword Down – Fixed some cases where target could be dropped before the final hit.
- Sword Air Side – Fixed some cases where target could be dropped before the final hit.