Black Diamond Mordex and Arctic Fox Yumiko are ready to face the tundra! This week we’ve added new winter-themed Skins and added the Shadowboxing Taunt in Mallhalla. Volkov also has had his price reduced to 5400 Gold and debuts on the free-to-play Legend Rotation!
We’ve also updated a number of changes in the base Cannon kit to try out in Test Features! In addition, we’ve made a balance pass, added a few game improvements, bug fixes, and more.
To catch the latest Brawlhalla news and content, be sure to follow us on Twitter, Twitch, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Discord!
- New Store Items:
- Black Diamond Mordex – “Climb your way to the top!”
- Arctic Fox Yumiko – “How about we break the ice? Bonus: Aurora emotes with Yumiko’s actions!”
- Shadowboxing Taunt – “Visualize the win.”
- Volkov’s price has been reduced to 5400 Gold!
- We’re currently rapidly rotating through chests. See the in-game timer to know when the next chest will rotate.
- Check out the new Sales items!
Square off against your opponent in this hard hitting KO fest! Chew through your foe’s 5 Stocks with damage cranked up to an insane 300%! Send your challenger into orbit before they know what hit them. First to 5 KOs wins!
- 5 Stocks
- 300% Damage
We’ve updated several attacks in the base Cannon’s move set to be more intuitive, feel more explosive, and maintain the current flow of the kit. Please let us know your experience with this test feature on Twitter and Discord! Check out brawlhalla.com/test-features for more information.
Neutral Light’s first hit is now a standing cannon blast with slightly increased priority and time to hit
Side Light is now an arcing cannon swing that favors horizontal threat at the beginning of the attack and vertical threat at the end.
Down Air is now a downward cannon blast that rebounds forward when performed close to the ground.
We’ve added a new map to the Free-for-All queue! The test map “Circus” has now become “Big Miami Dome.”
- Features three soft platforms with one moving.
- A FFA design to bring the Miami Dome map into more queues.
- Same entrancing Miami Dome music and art!
We’ve made a number of adjustments to current weapon kits targeted at improving key attacks that allow under-performing weapons to better fit their overall flow and role. Overperforming weapons that already have a strong flow and role have had their reward reduced to better fit within the current roster. In similar fashion, a number of Signatures have received improvements that allow them to better fit their role, while others have received reductions in their risk to allow for more versatile use. Volkov has also received his first round of balance adjustments, granting more knockout potential on some attacks in exchange for greater risk on others.
We have increased the risk associated with several of the Unarmed kit’s more rewarding options, enabling armed players to make greater use of their advantage. This includes creating new hit/miss distinctions for Side Light and Side Air. We have also reduced the reward of the Unarmed Ground Pound to better fit in relation to the reward of armed Ground Pounds.
- Unarmed Side Light: Changed total Recover time on hit from 0 Fixed/20 Variable to 1 Fixed/18 Variable; Increased total Recover time on miss from 0 Fixed/20 Variable to 3 Fixed/18 Variable.
- Unarmed Side Air: Changed total Recover time on hit from 0 Fixed/16 Variable to 1 Fixed/14 Variable; Increased total Recover time on miss from 0 Fixed/16 Variable to 3 Fixed/14 Variable.
- Unarmed Recovery: Increased Recover time on miss from 0 Fixed/19 Variable to 2 Fixed/19 Variable.
- Unarmed Ground Pound: Decreased Damage from 19 to 17; Decreased Force from 48 Fixed/48 Variable to 48 Fixed/46 Variable.
The Gauntlets Down Light and Neutral Air have both received increased Stun to allow for tighter and more reliable follow-up attacks. As one of the Gauntlet’s main follow-up attacks, we have increased the Side Light’s threat coverage to more reliably punish certain dodges, while also allowing this attack to more reliably contest opponents during the neutral game. The Ground Pound now has a shorter Time to Hit to allow for greater use on stage and as a follow-up attack to certain strings.
- Gauntlets Down Light: Increased Stun from a range of 23~19 to a range of 24~20.
- Gauntlets Side Light: Slightly increased vertical and horizontal threat coverage during the initial rush.
- Gauntlets Neutral Air: Increased Stun from 16 to 17.
- Gauntlets Ground Pound: Decreased Time to Hit from 18 to 15; Slightly decreased vertical threat coverage when held.
The reward has been shifted from some of the Hammer’s fastest attacks into one of its highest risk attacks. The Neutral Light and Down Light now deal slightly less damage to better match their relatively low Time to Hit and guaranteed combo setups, while the Side Air now has greater Stun to allow for more reliable follow-up attacks when landing this hefty swing.
- Hammer Neutral Light: Decreased Damage from 22 to 20.
- Hammer Down Light: Decreased Damage from 12 to 11.
- Hammer Side Air: Increased Stun from 23 to 25.
The Sword Side Light has received a number of improvements to better fit its role as a gap closer and approach tool. We have increased the travel speed and decreased the Recover time on miss so it may be used more confidently. We have also increased the average reward by focusing more of its multi-hit damage towards the end of the attack, while also decreasing the Force to allow for more varied follow-up attacks at broader health ranges. The Sword’s relatively low ability to finish opponents has also been improved in the form of greater Force on the Recovery attack.
- Sword Side Light: Decreased Recover time on miss from 2 Fixed/20 Variable to 0 Fixed/20 Variable; Focused damage towards the end of the move; Increased maximum travel speed; Decreased Force of the final hit from 80 Fixed/10 Variable to 70 Fixed/6 Variable.
- Sword Recovery: Increased Force of the final hit from 55 Fixed/40 Variable to 55 Fixed/42 Variable.
The Blasters’ Recovery attack can knockout targets too quickly given its high Force and vertical travel distance, so we have decreased the Force of its final blast for a more appropriate knockout range.
- Blasters Recovery: Decreased Force from 52 Fixed/47 Variable to 52 Fixed/43 Variable.
We have greatly improved the consistency of Spear Side Light’s setup location, allowing for more reliable follow-up attacks even when landing the second swing by itself.
- Spear Side Light: The second swing now has a more consistent setup location.
The Orb was found to score knockouts too quickly when compared to other weapons with similar coverage, so we have reduced the Damage of the Side Light given its role as a combo starter. Some power has also been shifted from the Side Air’s Damage into the Neutral Air’s Stun for slightly improved follow-up attacks from this low Force attack. The Recovery has received a greater fall off in Force during its travel to reduce its maximum range knockout potential.
- Orb Side Light: Decreased Damage from 14 to 12.
- Orb Neutral Air: Increased Stun from 23 to 24.
- Orb Side Air: Decreased Damage from 15 to 14; Slightly decreased rear threat coverage on the first swing.
- Orb Recovery: Decreased Force from a range of 75~65 Fixed/44~40 Variable to a range of 75~60 Fixed/44~36 Variable.
The location of threat on Artemis’ Side Rocket Lance was often too difficult to place effectively and this attack could often overshoot its target too easily. Artemis now builds the energy on her Lance during the travel, catching opponents along the way. This results in a far greater Hit Window and threat coverage, as well as slightly increased Damage.
- Artemis Side Lance: Increased Hit Window from 7 to 16; Increased Damage from 25 to 26.
We have found Bödvar’s Neutral Sword to be too high risk of an attack in most cases, so we have reduced the Recover time to make this a more viable option in a broader range of situations.
- Bödvar Neutral Sword: Decreased Recover time from 25 to 22.
Several of Caspian’s attacks have proven to be too great of a commitment for their coverage. For the Side Katars, we have decreased the Minimum Charge time and slightly increased the horizontal coverage to better fit its role as a quicker grounded Signature. The Down Katars now has less Recover time to compensate for its relatively long Time to Hit.
- Caspian Side Katars: Slightly increased horizontal threat coverage; Decreased Minimum Charge time from 7 to 5.
- Caspian Down Katars: Decreased Recover time from 30 to 28.
Cross’ Down Blasters, Neutral Gauntlets, and Down Gauntlets have all received increased Damage to better match his high Strength stat, as their reward previously fell below other similar options on other Legends.
- Cross Down Blasters: Increased Damage from 22 to 24.
- Cross Neutral Gauntlets: Increased Damage from 23 to 25.
- Cross Down Gauntlets: Increased Damage from 21 to 23.
Spiking an aerial opponent with Ember’s Down Bow requires a great deal of accuracy, so we have increased the Force of the aerial version to better match its required skill.
- Ember Down Bow: Increased Force of the aerial version from a range of 60~50 Fixed/50~45 Variable to 64~60 Fixed/53~50 Variable.
We have increased the missile’s travel distance during Isaiah’s Down Blasters, enabling it to better threaten around corners. This extra travel can result in a minor Damage increase for opponents caught during the missile’s initial flight.
- Isaiah Down Blasters: Increased travel distance and Hit Window of the missile; Increased total Damage from 25 to 26.
Kaya’s Side Spear has solid horizontal range, but the relatively thin vertical coverage and lengthy Recover time often pose too great a risk. We have reduced the Recover time on miss to better fit with this Signatures required accuracy.
- Kaya Side Spear: Decreased Recover time on miss from 14 to 12.
For more reliable connections, the Damage on Petra’s Neutral Orb has been slightly shuffled towards the final setup hit. This is largely tied to improvements in holding targets in place for the duration of the power.
- Petra Neutral Orb: Increased total Damage of the final setup hit from 1 to 2; Decreased Damage of final blast from 15 to 14.
The Damage and Force fall-off on the final steam bloom of Scarlet’s Down Rocket Lance has been adjusted to better fit her Strength. While this Signature is still strongest at the beginning, the reward at maximum range has been greatly improved.
- Scarlet Down Rocket Lance: Increased Force from a range of 55~20 Fixed/45~10 Variable to a range of 55~50 Fixed/45~40 Variable; Increased Damage from a range of 23~15 to a range of 24~22.
To compensate for the total commitment time required for Teros’ Side Axe we have increased the travel speed of this Signature, resulting in greater total threat coverage and an improved ability to chase down targets.
- Teros Side Axe: Increased travel speed.
We have increased the retreat distance on Vector’s Down Rocket Lance and adjusted to how that retreat is altered by movement such as a dash, allowing for more reliable evasion with this attack and greater threat coverage near Vector’s starting position.
- Vector Down Rocket Lance: Increased retreat distance during transformation.
The uncharged version of Volkov’s Side Axe did not have enough knockout potential, so we have increased both its Damage and Force, as well as redirected its knockback to be more horizontal for earlier knockouts. The Neutral Scythe has received an increase in Recover time to better match its total coverage and allow more time for counterplay response. Some of this power has been moved into the Down Scythe for greater knockout potential, as this Signature could previously take too long to finish an opponent.
- Volkov Side Axe: Increased Damage of the uncharged version from 18 to 19; Increased Force of the uncharged version from 55 Fixed/56 Variable to 65 Fixed/56 Variable; The knockback angle of the uncharged version is now more horizontal.
- Volkov Neutral Scythe: Increased Recover time from 2 to 6; Decreased total Damage from 27 to 24.
- Volkov Down Scythe: Increased Force of the normal version from 66 Fixed/51 Variable to 68 Fixed/53 Variable; Increased Force of the wall version from 60 Fixed/50 Variable to 65 Fixed/50 Variable.
- Standardized animated Spear skins to match the frame count of other animated Skins. Adjusted timing on Spear Idle, and Character Select loops for Shovel Knight, Pearl, and Queen Nai.
- Minor posing adjustments to Cannon Down Light.
- Added FX to Artemis Side Rocket Lance to indicate the hit box during forward travel.
- Cannon Down Light: Updated hurtboxing to match the animation improvements, resulting in slightly less vulnerability at the beginning of the attack.
- Petra Neutral Orb: Fixed a case where the target could be dropped before the final hit when struck simultaneously by the final two setup hits. (Credit: Sandstorm)
- Gauntlets Neutral Light: Fixed a case where the target could be dropped before the final hit.
- Rocket Lance Neutral Light: Fixed a case where the target could be dropped before the final hit.
- Volkov Side Scythe: Fixed a case where the target could be dropped before the final hit when connecting with the end of the Hit Window.
- Volkov Down Scythe: Fixed a case where the target could be dropped before the final hit.
Volkov debuts on the free-to-play Legend rotation! This week also includes: Jiro, Lin Fei, Brynn, Bödvar, Orion, Petra, and Diana.
- Volkov – The Vampire King of Batavia has unexpectedly found Valhalla and has brought his Scythe and Axe to battle.
- Jiro – Trained as a child by a powerful and secret shinobi family, Jiro comes into the arena with not only Scythe and Sword but shadow clones as well!
- Lin Fei – A defender of the innocent and teacher of the lost ways. She is a great teacher who has developed her own fighting style, the ‘Way of the Iron Dragon,’ which utilizes her Cannon, Katars and an ancestral dragon-spirit.
- Brynn – Competing for the pure joy of it, this Valkyrie has seen many victories due to her skill with the Axe and Spear.
- Bödvar – He is the Protector of the North and dreams of endless battle. Bödvar has broken down the doors to Valhalla himself and is ready to take down his foes with Sword and Hammer!
- Orion – A revered warrior and champion, the mysterious armored knight uses Rocket Lance and Spear to battle his foes in the halls of Valhalla!
- Petra – Having been set free from Terminus, Petra sets her eyes on Valhalla with her Orb, Gauntlets, and Darkheart powers.
- Diana – Commander of the Order’s hunters, she uses her Bow and Blasters to slay countless beasts and monsters.