Welcome to Patch 2.33! This is the last balance patch before The Brawlhalla World Championships take place in November. After a lot of feedback from players, we’ve made some improvements to jump changes in order to make them feel better and more responsive, while providing more depth at high levels of play.
Oh, and if you’re fans of all the Calculated gifs and videos from the past year, we’ve made it official and added a Calculated Taunt to the store. We did it Reddit! We hope you enjoy this patch, and we look forward to seeing you in Atlanta on Nov 11-13 for the Brawlhalla World Championship.
- The new ‘Calculated!’ taunt has been added to Mallhalla
After hearing your feedback about connection issues in EU, we’ve been working hard to find a solution. Starting today we’ve switched to a new provider, added new machines, and are aiming to have better performance across Europe. Servers still remain located in Amsterdam. If you’re playing on EU, let us know if your online experience improves!
- New servers for the EU Region have been brought online.
Revised Jump Changes
When used as a zero-startup zero-recover escape option, we feel jumping plays a sizable part in discouraging aggression. A small startup will narrow the reaction time needed to sidestep and punish incoming hitboxes. Jump startup is waived for twelve frames after hitting with an attack to keep from damaging existing follow ups. After jumping, landing back on the ground will incur a brief recovery period, allowing room to punish heavily evasive opponents as they will be unable to jump, attack, or dodge.
- Added a 2 frame startup when jumping. Jump startup is not applied if jumping within 12 frames of hitting with an attack.
- Added a 2 frame recovery period when landing after performing a jump. Attacks and dodges will retain their normal durations should you land during an attack or dodge.
- Running is no longer locked during Jump Startup, fixing a bug that prevented jump into momentum dodges from working correctly.
- If performing an attack close enough to the ground to snap to ground, Landing Recovery will be ignored.
- Aerial jump height reduced to match grounded jump height.
- Jump fx now play on input rather than the frame the jump starts.
Graduated Test Features
- A grounded dodge will be full speed if left or right has been held for at least 27 frames, even if max speed has not been reached. This should create a more predictable maximum for timing a momentum dodge.
- Updated HUD colors again to use brighter, more saturated tones. The biggest difference should be that yellow (50 damage) is more noticeable to everyone. Additionally, this change should make the transition from 0 to 50 damage more noticeable for people who are red/green colorblind.
New Legend Rotation
This week’s Legend rotation features Ada, Azoth, Hattori, Ragnir, Scarlet, and Sentinel.
It’s been an exciting run towards the Brawlhalla World Championship at BCX and we are eager to see who can win on the biggest stage! In light of that, we are locking balance with this patch until after BCX so all players have ample time to hone their skills in the current environment. Balance passes will resume every other week as normal after BCX concludes November 13th, 2016.
In the meantime, we still intend to fix combat related bugs and drops, so please keep reporting them!
Given the addition of jump startup into the game, we have adjusted the Down Light so expected combo interactions remain the same, gravity cancels and all.
- Down Light: Reduced hitbox coverage toward the back end; Decreased Variable Force from 9 to 5.
We have slightly increased recovery times on some moves that created overly oppressive sequences, such as releasing a Ground Pound when the opponent would dodge and immediately following with a Recovery attack. The Down Air adjustment also allows for a better punish window against certain abuse cases.
- Ground Pound: Increased Fixed Recovery on release from 1 to 2.
- Down Air: Increased Fixed Recovery on miss from 1 to 2.
The Rocket Lance has received some decreased recovery time when hitting with a Ground Pound as it previously had very disadvantageous recovery time on hit.
- Ground Pound: Decreased Fixed Recovery on hit from 1 to 0; Decreased Variable Recovery on hit from 15 to 13.
The Spear has had some power shifted from the Down Air into the Neutral Air. The Down Air’s Time to Hit increase prevents certain abuse cases involving dodge-cancels, as well as a bit more counterplay given its excellent speed and range.
- Down Air: Decreased Damage from 16 to 15; Time to Hit Increased from 8 to 10.
- Neutral Air: Increased Damage from 14 to 16.
We are decreasing the damage Katars deal, as well as opening dodge windows in between the Side Light and dodge-canceled followup attacks as they can be a bit oppressive at high level play and accumulate damage a bit too quickly for their small and fast design.
- Side Light: Decreased Damage from 15 to 13; Decreased Stun Time from 22 to 21.
- Neutral Light: Decreased Damage from 18 to 16.
- Side Air: Decreased Variable Force from 49 to 47.
- Neutral Air: Decreased Damage from 13 to 12.
- Ground Pound: Decreased Stun Time from 25 to 20.
The Blasters have long durations on most of its attacks, so we have slightly sped up some aspects of its play to better keep up with other weapons.
- Neutral Light: Decreased gap between the first two shots from 18 frames to 16 frames.
- Down Light: Decreased Fixed Recovery on miss from 1 to 0.
Many players showed the desire to use the Side Light in close combat, so we have increased the rear range of the attack to hit closer to the user.
- Side Light: Increased hitbox coverage towards the user to be more intuitive.
The Bow had very damaging attacks for their speed, so we have performed a mixture of decreasing both damage and speed on some attacks that were overly difficult to contest.
- Neutral Light: Decreased Damage from 20 to 18; Increased Fixed Recovery on miss from 6 to 8.
- Neutral Air: Increased Time to Hit from 9 to 10; Decreased Damage from 20 to 18; Decreased hitbox coverage towards the bottom of the user.
- Side Air: Decreased stacked hitbox coverage.
The Gauntlets have received some damage reduction due to their excellent ability to string multiple attacks together, as well as a few adjustments to some of their combos to create dodge windows in some cases, and increase the difficulty of performing the combo in others.
- Neutral Air: Increased Time to Hit from 10 to 11; Decreased Stun from 25 to 21; Decreased Damage from 12 to 10.
- Down Light: Increased Time to Hit from 10 to 11; Decreased Damage from 16 to 14.
- Ground Pound: Decreased Damage from 22 to 19.
Bodvar has received some decreased damage to his Side Hammer, due to the ability to combo into it from a Hammer Down Light.
- Bodvar Side Hammer: Decreased Damage from 31 to 28.
Lucien has a great kit of Signature attacks, however the Down Katar could score a knockout a bit too early, so we have decreased the Variable Force.
- Lucien Down Katar: Decreased Variable Force from 63 to 60.
Sentinel has shown great results in Ranked and Tournament play, and the Side Hammer has been shown to be a bit too strong for its speed and range, so we are reducing the damage and force slightly while also opening some extra room to punish.
- Sentinel Side Hammer: Increased Fixed Recovery from 17 to 19; Decreased Damage from 30 to 28; Decreased Variable Force from 56 to 55.
Koji’s Bow Signature attacks all serve a purpose in the kit, however they overlapped each other for the ability to hit stacked opponents. We have left the Down Signature as his stacked attack option, while the Neutral Bow and Side Bow now require a bit of separation between the user and the target.
- Koji Neutral Bow: Increased Fixed Recovery from 17 to 19; Removed stacked hitboxing so the attack will no longer hit grounded opponents.
- Koji Side Bow: Decreased Variable Force from 51 to 50; Decreased Fixed Force from 75 to 73; Decreased hitbox coverage toward the rear of the attack.
Ragnir’s Side Katar covers a great amount of distance relatively quickly, so we are keeping the utility while decreasing the damage and force.
- Ragnir Side Katar: Decreased Damage from 24 to 22; Decreased Variable Force from 51 to 49; Increased Fixed Recovery from 13 to 15.
Kor’s Down Gauntlet was seemingly unpunishable even when a player was prepared for it, so we are slightly increasing the recovery time.
- Kor Down Gauntlet: Increased Fixed Recovery from 17 to 19.
Asuri’s Neutral Katar is an excellent Signature with great force and utility as an anti-air, so we are adjusting it to lean more into the realm of being an anti-air; it no longer picks up grounded opponents, but has received a decrease in Minimum Charge Time to reach anti-air height sooner.
- Asuri Neutral Katar: Removed hitboxing during the initial leap so the attack no longer hits grounded opponents; Decreased Minimum Charge Time from 13 to 11.
Much like Kor’s Down Gauntlets, Sir Roland’s Down Signature was rather safe, so we are bumping the recovery time up slightly.
- Sir Roland Down Sword: Increased Fixed Recovery from 15 to 16.
Teros’ Neutral Hammer has the ability to score an early knockout near the edge, so we are slightly reducing the Fixed Force to bring it in line with other similar attacks.
- Teros Neutral Hammer: Decreased Fixed Force from 71 to 69.
The shot on Thatch’s Side Blasters starts close before blooming outward, resulting in a slightly longer lead-in than other Signatures, so we are speeding it up for more ease of use.
- Thatch Side Blasters: Decreased Minimum Charge Time from 16 to 14.
Barraza’s Down Axe felt too lengthy in total Time to Hit for its modest range, so we are decreasing the Minimum Charge Time for a quicker response.
- Barraza Down Axe: Decreased Minimum Charge Time from 8 to 6.
- Fixed a bug that caused local matches’ replays to continue far past the actual end of the match.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the Jump + Attack exception for Jump Startup from working unless input on the same frame.
- Fixed a bug where pressing taunt and throw on the exact same frame during an aerial spot dodge would lead to a gravity-canceled throw. You will now just taunt in that situation. Credit /u/SkylarAlice.