Welcome to patch 2.38! The Dinosaurs from the far side of the Fangwild are running rampant in Brawlhalla as a new KO Effect! We’ve also added more country flags as avatars, improved game balance, added new test features and more in this. We hope you enjoy, and we’ll see out there in Brawlhalla! We’ll be bringing our dinosaurs with us.
New KO Effect and Flag Avatars!
- New KO Effect! – T-Rekt “Dinos in arena are closer than they appear.”
- Added flag avatars for countries Argentina, Finland, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, and Singapore
- Cheering sounds in KO fx are now easier to hear.
New Test Features
We’ve added a few new things to Test Features in the patch. The goal of the Signature changes are to give players a strong option against obvious approaches. We’re also continuing to look at jumps and are testing out an increase in landing recovery. As always we’re looking for your feedback!
- Added to Test Features: Signatures have higher priority than light attacks instead of clashing.
- Added to Test Features: The invulnerability period after a Speed Dodge is canceled into an attack is no longer prevents hits from Signatures. (Credit: bluetiger6001)
- Added to Test Features: Increased Landing Recover from 2 frames to 4 frames.
- Removed from Test Features: Jumping off the wall is treated as your first aerial jump.
- For a full list of current test features please visit www.brawlhalla.com/test-features
New Legend Rotation
This week’s Legend Rotation features Ember, Gnash, Lord Vraxx, Queen Nai, Teros and Val.
Now that the champions have been crowned and BCX lies in wait for next year, balance updates have resumed! We have a number of adjustments for you this week so be sure to hit the queues with renewed fervor!
The Katars had become quite the powerhouse in tournament play, with an emphasis on powerful strings when punishing an opponent’s dodge. We have opened up these strings to curtail the ability to carry a juggled opponent off-stage quite so easily, as well as the damage built from these strings.
- Katar Neutral Light: Decreased Stun of final hit from 19 to 16.
- Katar Down Light: Decreased Damage from 14 to 11.
- Katar Down Air: Decreased Stun of final hit in the air from 17 to 14.
- Katar Side Air: Decreased Variable Force from 47 to 43.
- Katar Neutral Air: Decreased Stun from 21 to 19.
The Axe could seem fairly straightforward in gameplay, so it is receiving a new tool in the form of combos from Side Light. Some adjustments have been made elsewhere in the kit to allow room for the new routes available!
- Axe Side Light: Increased Stun from 29 to 31; Decreased Damage from 15 to 11.
- Axe Side Air: Decreased Time to Hit from 15 to 14.
- Axe Neutral Light: Increased Damage from 19 to 20; Decreased Stun from 25 to 24.
- Axe Neutral Air: Decreased Stun of later frames from 34 to 28; Changed Recover time from 5 Fixed & 15 Variable to 9 Fixed & 10 Variable.
The Hammer is receiving a few adjustments to feel a bit more fluid as well as some new options for pressure on the ground.
- Hammer Side Air: Decreased Variable Recover time on miss from 25 to 19; Increased Fixed Recover time on miss from 1 to 5; Decreased Time to Hit from 16 to 15.
- Hammer Side Light: Increased Stun from 18 to 21.
The Rocket Lance is also receiving a bit more fluidity to one of its stiffer options; the Side Air. The Recovery is also receiving a slight damage boost to be more in line with other similar options.
- Rocket Lance Side Air: Decreased Variable Recover time on miss from 16 to 13.
- Rocket Lance Recovery: Increased base Damage from 15 to 17.
The Blasters Down Air now provides the same advantage on hit regardless of Dexterity as it takes its place as a designated string starter! The Neutral air’s impressive damage to speed ratio is brought down slightly to make room for the Down Air’s improvement at low and mid Dexterity.
- Blasters Down Air: Changed Recover time on hit from 3 Fixed and 11 Variable to 10 Fixed and 0 Variable.
- Neutral Air: Decreased Damage of the shots from 20 & 17 to 18 & 15. (Update: This change was intended to go in for 2.38 but was not applied due to a bug. The bug has since been identified and will be corrected during the next major patch.)
Covering a missed Down Light with a Neutral Light on Sword has become a standard flow, so we are opening up this interaction a bit for more counterplay.
- Sword Neutral Light: Decreased Damage from 21 to 19.
- Sword Down Light: Increased Fixed Recover time on miss from 0 to 2.
The Spear Down Air is a very quick and effective poke and has received some reduced Stun to compensate for its utility.
- Spear Down Air: Decreased Stun from 15 to 13.
The Bow is having a few options brought in line with those of other similar powers, primarily on its Side attacks. Opponent’s will be stunned less from a Side Air and not be sent as far, and also take less damage from the Side Light.
- Bow Side Air: Decreased Stun from 22 to 20; Decreased Variable Force from 34 to 32.
- Bow Side Light: Decreased Damage from 23 to 21.
Some Gauntlets strings have been opened up a bit to allow more avenues of escape, as they could feel a bit too strong on a dodge punish.
- Gauntlets Neutral Air: Decreased Stun from 21 to 20.
- Gauntlets Side Air: Decreased Fixed Force from 57 to 55.
- Gauntlets Down Air: Decreased Stun from 20 to 18.
Azoth’s Neutral Bow is getting an increase in speed to improve the reliability of the signature as an anti-air.
- Azoth Neutral Bow: Decreased Minimum Charge time from 17 to 15.
Barraza’s Side Axe needed a bit less recovery to balance against its long active frames.
- Barraza Side Axe: Decreased Fixed Recover time from 17 to 16.
We’ve improved the damage on two of Gnash’s signatures to bring his damage up to par with other Legends.
- Gnash Side Hammer: Increased Damage from 20 to 22.
- Gnash Neutral Spear: Increased Damage from 16 to 19.
Kor’s Down Hammer is one of the least used in his kit. This change should encourage more rocks n’ rolls from here forward.
- Kor Down Hammer: Decreased Fixed Recover time from 26 to 24.
Ragnir’s Side Katar signature is a defining part of his kit, and a little too overturned compared to the capabilities of other Legends. These changes should make it easier to punish, and bring the damage in line with its utility.
- Ragnir Side Katars: Increased Fixed Recover time from 18 to 20 when ending on the ground and from 15 to 17 when ending in the air; Decreased Damage from 22 to 20.
With multiple chase dodges as an option, Thatch’s Neutral Blasters is no longer as powerful as it used to be. These changes bring it back up to speed with current mechanics.
- Thatch Neutral Blasters: Decreased Fixed Recover time from 27 to 23; Decreased Minimum Charge time from 14 to 12.
Dedicated Ulgrim players would argue that he needs no changes, and that he is perfect as he stands. We’ve improved the recovery time on two of Ulgrim’s signatures to make him feel more fluid for players.
- Ulgrim Neutral Axe: Decreased Fixed Recover time on miss from 9 to 8.
- Ulgrim Down Lance: Decreased Fixed Recover time on miss from 11 to 10.
This change to speed dodge will allow for clashing, giving the defender an option to contest obvious approaches.
- When canceling a Speed Dodge into an attack, invulnerability frames now end on the first attack frame rather than the following frame. This window still lasts up to a maximum of 10 frames.
- Fixed a visual ‘popping’ bug with Cross’s Gauntlet d-sig during rollbacks.
- Fixed a bug that would cause a grounded or wall jump to be treated as an aerial jump if it left the ground/wall during Jump Startup.
- Fixed a bug that could reduce Landing Recover time when jumping.